The RTK helpdesk
Welcome to our RTK helpdesk. Can't you find the answer? Get in touch and we help you out.RTK settings Device specific
Welcome to the RTK Premium helpdesk. Please find the answers to your questions in the categories below.
The RTK Premium helpdesk
Please find your questions in one of these categories:
Can't find your answer? Get in touch via WhatsApp and speak directly with our RTK helpdesk in person.
Real-Time Kinematics (RTK) basics:
What is RTK (Real-Time Kinematic)?
RTK stands for Real-Time Kinematic and is a technique that enables higher accuracies than stand alone GNSS receivers do, based on permanent fixed reference points/stations. The basic concept is to reduce and remove errors common to a base station and rover (receiving unit) pair. Therefore a data link connection must be established. The rover sends out his satellite position and receives recalculated correction data from the network for these specific satellites.
How does RTK work?
Reference stations never stream correction data 1:1 to the rover. Instead reference stations are used only for observations (measuring) and sending this ‘raw’ data to our data center. At the data center all observations from all stations are used to create a model of the errors over a certain geographical area (like a topographic map, but instead of showing elevation, it shows error. Rover sends NMEA (National Marine Electronics Association) for authentication and initial position. Depending on the location of the rover in that model, a customized correction signal is sent to that rover to compensate for the errors on that location. This is real-time, so if the rover moves to another location, the applied corrections will also change. If the nearest station goes offline, no problem. There is no 1:1 communication. It just means there is 1 less measuring station to share observations to build the model. The rover is not receiving corrections from stations, it is receiving corrections from a solution.
What is RTK used for?
Everywhere a precise position is required you can rely on RTK (as long as it is outside):
- Construction and surveying
- Precision farming and robotics
- Autonomous driving
- Several applications related to unmanned aerial, ground or maritime vehicles
- Monitoring and telematics
What are the requirements for RTK (hardware/circumstances)?
- GNSS Antenna, capable to process and use incoming RTK corrections
- Data Modem with a connection to (mobile) internet
- Access to internet for Ntrip protocol based data transfer
- A clear view to the skyplot of satellites, these are ideally maximum distributed. No shadows or blocking from a.e. trees or buildings
Why a RTK Premium Network?
- Currently Premium Positioning covers more than 25 countries in Europe.
- Additionally parts of north america, south africa and Japan is available.
- Over 1500 linked reference stations deliver EU certified ETRF coordinates
- More than 30.000 users are registered in our Network and rely on the availability and accuracy that we deliver every day.
What can I do with the RTK Live Map?
In the RTK Live Map you can check the rover history. This is the place where you can see the status of the rover; all the connections and positions re-directed to the network will be shown there.
Here you can find detailed information regarding Satellite connections, RTCM settings, and a detailed overview of the status of the rover.
How to access Rover History:
- Open RTK live Map.
- Click on “rover history” on the left bar.
- Enter Rover's name and time period -> press ok.
- The Rover History Table will show all the data collected during the selected time period.
- Select the time period that you need and click on the map icon in the right menu bar.
- Zoom on the map to see the rover's path.
- Click on the color circles, and a pop-up window will open with detailed information about the rover.
How to troubleshoot Simcard connection in KPN Portal?
- Log in with your credentials.
- Enter the last 6 digits of your Simcard in the search bar and press enter.
- This will take you to the page pictured below
- To see the detailed information on the Simcard, use the menu option in blue
- To run diagnostics use the diagnostics tool in green
Get in touch with us directly
Do you have an urgent question about RTK, RTK settings or Premium Positioning? Can't find the answer on the RTK Helpdesk page? Scan the QR code and have a one-on-one conversation with our RTK helpdesk.